Friday, July 17, 2009

Thankful in "any" and "every" situation...

I have been camping out in Philippians all summer long and the words written by Paul have never rung truer to me than now at this point in my life, specifically his words spoken on humility and contentment.

It's crazy to think it's almost been a year since I've moved 600 miles away from Michigan to Charlotte, NC. God has stretched me in so many different ways, yet I still find myself oftentimes with feelings of discontentment. I have a lot to be thankful for, unfortunately I still desire so many things in life that I do not yet have.

This summer God has really opened my eyes to the meaning of humility and what a life marked by humility should look like...JESUS! In Philippians 2:5-6 Paul commands us "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus". Paul continues to explain the attitude of Jesus while He was here on this earth "...did not consider equality with God as something to be grasped...made Himself nothing...He humbled Himself and became obedient to death."

As I think back on Jesus' life and the things he did, the people he associated with, it had nothing to do with buying a house and worrying about all of the renovations and closing process. His life had nothing to do with searching for a soul mate. His life had nothing to do with figuring out which party He was going to attend on the weekend. No, Jesus was concerned with who could He serve! That should be my attitude.

I truly want to get to a point where "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13

This should be our desire in life to chase after Jesus, to serve his people, and to be content in whatever circumstance we have been placed in.

No comments: