Saturday, January 22, 2011

Running the Race

Running...a word I used to cringe at when I heard it. So many people here in Charlotte run, run, run, run, run. Well, I have finally been bitten by the running bug! I am currently training for a 10K in April and dare I say "running" is becoming something enjoyable?!?

I have much more respect now for people who train and run races. I never realized how hard it is to get started, the aches, cramps, pains and sweat are hard to get through those first few weeks. However, somewhere in the midst of all that pain is joy...joy that you are working towards a goal and becoming stronger with each step taken, joy in God's beauty that is displayed all around, joy in the realization that life is a lot like running and you are not alone.

Every time I run now I think of the passage found in Hebrews 12:1-3

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

So I am still running, but not just to complete a 10K. I am running because it brings joy to my heart, it reminds me of my God and how much he loves me and that he is right there beside me running the race marked before me. Life is not always easy, it brings on a lot of pain, aches, cramps and sweat, but I know what I am pressing on towards and I know what my eyes are fixed upon...the author and perfecter of my faith!

So get out there and RUN!




No comments: