Sunday, January 23, 2011

The "Me" in Meaningless

 Words pondered in this morning's quiet time...

' “Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher.“Utterly meaningless!  Everything is meaningless.” What do people gain from all their labors, at which they toil under the sun?' Ecclesiastes 1:2-3

"I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees" Ecclesiastes 2:4-6

I have not been sleeping well lately and know it's due to anxiety. Anxiety over work, relationships, finances and me and my character. I decided to pick up a book that I have been reading all about thoughts on change, grace, and learning the hard way "Bittersweet" by Shana Niequist...highly recommend it. The chapter I opened up to this morning focused on anxiety and how to overcome it. We all know the verse well...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

But sometimes it's easier read than done! In the book Shana talked about presenting your requests over and over and over and over to God. All of your anxious thoughts keep praying about them until you truly reach a point where an unspeakable, powerful, transcending peace that passes all understanding consumes your soul.

As I continued to lay in silence pumped to use my new "how to get peace" strategy, God revealed to me that the things I worry about are meaningless. Everything but me!

Me, my God loves Me, He cares for Me! Whoa! Job, Houses, Things, Friends, Dates, Boyfriends, Future Husband, Future Children=Meaningless

Now I am not saying that it means nothing to be married or have children, what I mean is that it is meaningless to worry about all of those things. On the day I stand before my Savior most of those things will be meaningless. My God will be looking at Me.

So as I go on with my day holding onto a little sliver of peace. I will take comfort in the fact that my God cares for Me and I am not meaningless to Him.


1 comment:

Christina Jill said...

I like this second-to-last paragraph, about that some things are not meaningless, but it is meaningless to worry about them... Loving reading your thoughts. C