Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Road Not Taken

"The Road Not Taken" is one of my favorite pieces of poetry written by Robert Frost. Today as I was walking through the woods I found new meaning in those words written so many years ago. I ventured out to Elizabeth Park today with just my camera and my dog. I planned on just walking around the outside of the park admiring the beautiful waterscapes. After walking for about 20 minutes I came upon a path that led into a wooded area. Not knowing where this path would take me I decided to embark on a journey knowing that at least I had my dog by my side. As I began walking I was thankful to have my dog with me and most likely would've never walked into the wooded area alone for fear of getting lost or coming upon wild animals or even strangers.

However, as I was pondering this decision I had made based on not being alone I began to think about the decisions and choices in my life that I have made and how many opportunities "roads" I have seized to take for fear of having to walk it alone. At that moment it occurred to me that I never am alone, I have Jesus to walk with me. Why do I continue to neglect that fact? How many opportunities "roads" have you not taken for fear of walking it alone? Robert Frost ends his poem with these words " Two roads diverged in a wood and I-- took the one less traveled by and it has made all the difference." It's so true, we are not able to see what God has in store for us if we don't step out in faith and realize He is there right along side of us all of the way. What road will you take? I took the one less traveled today...and it made all the difference.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost



No comments: